The title of my post is the haunting refrain that runs through the novel, The Kite Runner. While in Korea, I've been able to do some serious reading- I think this book marks my sixth book! Thus far, my reading list includes:
The Thirteenth Tale
Grapes of Wrath
Rant
Into Thin Air
The Scarlet Letter
Lord of the Flies
The Kite Runner
Just kidding. Seventh! One really good thing about being here is that TV isn't really that brain-washing. At home, I'm ashamed to admit it, but when I don't have anything to do I just tend to veg in front of the tv for way too much time. I definitely don't read enough. Here, with tv losing its appeal due to the language barrier, I find myself reading books all the time! It's really relaxing!! The Kite Runner was a really REALLY good book! My mom actually recommended that I read it last summer, but I was in kind of a reading motivation-drought, so I just brushed off her recommendation. I started it yesterday and finished today on the exercise bike! I would highly recommend it! Before I started the book, I was reading some of the reviews on the cover,and one critic commented that the book was "surprising." I didn't think anything of it until, time after time, I was completely oblivious to the many plot twists and turns. Really impressive! I'm planning on buying his second book for my plane ride home.
Life with Hyun Gi is much more relaxing than my time with Ji Young due to the fact I don't have to work. I ended up telling my boss that it was too much to have to come in to Mok Dong, even just two days a week. I'm happy with my decision. It would have ended up being a waste of my time in the end.... Every morning I walk through the Lotte World Mall (Seriously, shopping mall/theme park/ice rink!), take the green line (subway) and head to Kang-nam for class. My commute is much shorter, which is really nice! I'm able to take more time in the mornings and have a relaxing breakfast. At both Ji Young's house and Hyun Gi's, we eat Korean foods for breakfast - rice, kimchi, meat, veggies, spicy soup, very different than American breakfast foods. This is fine with me, but I find it really hard to just sit down and wolf down an entire bowl of rice and some soup! Having extra time is much appreciated!
After class, I come home, do my homework, read for an hour or two, and then head off to the fitness center in Hyun Gi's apartment complex. Seriously the nicest gym I have ever been in! The treadmills have individual tvs, and today, I was able to plug in my headphones and watch The Office (FAVORITE SHOW EVER!!) and 30 Rock (Is that the name? Tina Fey... not sure...). So much more enjoyable than the Y!
Then we get home around eight or nine, shower, have a nice dinner, relax, eat fruit, and then I usually help Oppa with his English pronunciation! Obviously, the sched. varies from day to day, but the relaxed environment is a constant throughout.
Wow, this was a way longer blog than anticipated! I'm calling it quits for the night!
-Peace-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment