Thursday, July 10, 2008

Misc.

I'm taking the opportunity to have a random blog post tonight. Bear with me!



The weather in Seoul has recently gotten REALLY humid and REALLY hot. Always a bad combo. However, I am used to being able to walk around in the summer in athletic shorts, tank tops, bare feet, and hair in a ponytail. Here, everyone always looks fashionable, or half-way decent at the very least, meaning my wardrobe is vastly different from that at home. Also, I have my newest most awful experience thus far in Seoul. Wednesday morning, I had to take the thirty-five minute long subway ride to Kang-Nam, where I go to school. This particular morning, it was absolutely BOILING and on the subway I was standing next to hot, sweaty, smelly men and was standing the entire time and sweating like none other. The worst possible way to start the morning; hot, sweaty, surrounded by people, and on a subway.




Speaking of school, last week marked the end of my time at Level 1 a and am now at Level 1 b, meaning I have a few new people in my class. Two of these people are two German boys, one about ten and one maybe my age. I think they might be at least part Korean, but I'm not sure. All I know is that the ten year old is absolutely the most annoying child I have ever met in my life. He and his "friend" speak German to each other whenever they want, and "Min" is constantly throwing paper or rubber erasers at "Edgar" (older guy). Today, he hit one of the other students in the head. I sit right next to Min, and he is always just making smart alec remarks and one of these days (maybe tomorrow...) I might smack him on the head. Well, probably not that, but I've definitely shot him some pretty menacing looks over the past few days...




In work news, tomorrow is my last day! I'm actually really sad about it! A funny thing happened today. Shil Jong Nim, my boss (not her name, her title. In Korea you refer to teacher as ,"Teacher", to your boss as "Shil Jong Nim". Title, not name.) asked if she could speak with me. I was kind of freaked out because, although she's really nice to me, I always feel like I'm on the verge of doing something wrong. However, I was surprised when she asked me to continue working! She even went as far as to invite me to live with her, if that was the issue. Multiple times! I actually would like to keep working, and if I was here by myself I definitely would, but I decided that I am in Korea not just for my own benefits, but to allow my friends the chance to show me how they live. Working longer would be selfish, so I can't. I'm kind of bummed, though...




After work tonight, the TA's I work with, Kee-Hoon and Tae, Ji Young, myself, and three girls who attend the hagwan we work at all went out to dinner together. Really tasty! Started out with dumplings (Basically ground sausage and onion wrapped in thin dough. I LOVE this!) followed by noodles in a spicy, almost creamy tasting soup. REALLY GOOD! Then we hit up 노래방, karaoke. Really fun!




Also, yesterday, Ji Young and I met her friend, Hee Ra, and went to a really tall sky scraper (I feel lame, I can't remember the name...!) to go to the top floor and look out on Seoul through the observatory. Unfortunately, that level was under construction, so we had to go to a restaurant a few floors below and look out the windows there. It was seriously the most expensive restaurant I have ever been (not saying much as Taco Bell is my most frequent stop..!). A CHEESE platter cost 45,000 won, or about 45 dollars! We each got a small glass of juice, and the tab came to 31,000 won, or about 30 dollars! Crazy! The view was absolutely gorgeous, though, so no complaints!

No comments: