Sunday, July 6, 2008

Oh, the simple things

Today was Sunday, and I have to say that the highlight for me was definitely going to church! Ji Young's family is Catholic, so I was able to go to my first Catholic Mass in one month. It was honestly really refreshing to be finally back at something that is SEMI-familiar (please remember it was in Korean!) to me. Even though I don't understand the readings and the sermon, it feels good to be close to God in a setting I have experience in!

A few points of interest regarding Korean Catholics-
This I found a little uncomfortable- Almost all the women wear a cloth on their heads, like in pre-Vatican II times. Ji Young doesn't, and when I asked her about it, she says her mom wants her to, but she doesn't because she feels like it's a symbol to put women down, make them not equal to men. I don't know if that is true or not, but I definitely felt a little uncomfortable seeing this traditional practice in use.

Also, no kneeling, but a lot more standing.


Hmmm, today, I also got my haircut. I thought I was just getting a trim, but it's WAY more Asian than that! ㄱㄱㄱㄱ Stay tuned for picture posts in the future.... I think I like it?

For dinner had bulgogi, basically marinated beef cooked on a grill with onions and garlic. SO GOOD! Definitely in my top three of Korean food experiences! I've had this before, but Ajuma just seems to have a way with the beef...!

No comments: