So. Day 1. Let's break this down:
Plane: On the fourteen hour-long epic journey that is Chicago to Seoul, we took Korean Air, an airline noted for its great comfort, service, and.... tv monitors in every seat. Unfortunately, we happened upon an older model and this last amenity was not available, which was a serious bummer. The second bad thing was that Ji Won (Joanne), her mom, and I were literally surrounded by children under the age of five, at least two on every side of us! They were quite a handful and did not help the flight move along any quicker. Although it was long, uncomfortable (not to the fault of the airline, just the idea of spending fourteen hours on a plane!), and extremely tiring, I have no real complaints.
Airport: Next we meet Ji Won's dad (aka Ah-da-shi). Sooo nice! I also met her sister, Hannah, who is also a really nice girl. She goes to college in Pennsylvania, and her English is really good. Family= super nice!
House: Sorry I don't have pictures now.. That may take a few days to get going... The apartment is located in a suburb just outside of Seoul. It is really small, just a kitchen, three small bedrooms, a bathroom , and a living room, but it is really nice and open. I have a room all to myself, which I feel bad about because Ji Won is sleeping on the floor, but when I try to protest I get shot down by every Korean in the house!
Dinner: This is the part I have been the most nervous about. The food in Korea is so out of my comfort zone, which, granted does not provide too much room for trying-ness. My first meal experience in Korea has been pretty good. We ate at a Japanese-style restaurant and had a family-style soup where you just put all the meat, vegetables, tofu, etc. in a pot of hot water and cook it. Mom, you will be happy to know that I ate mushrooms, and several other things I didn't really know what they were. It will take a little getting used to, but so far, so good. Babysteps. Next I guess we're going to sushi route....!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How much fun to read your blog. You are helping us move into the twenty first century.
What a great experience you have facing you. Please do expect great literary comments as my writing is poor in comparison to yours.
Mary says be careful of the sushi and Barb is glad you are safely there.
It will be fun to follow your amazing journey! Sounds like a fun time already! Ian says to try all the sushi you can!!!
Post a Comment