The martial arts/drum feature. WOW! I have never been really very into martial arts, but this was honestly the most intensely and excitingly entertaining thing I have seen in a long time! Traditional drums were flying the entire time as Taekwondo students broke baseball bats with their feet, did flips and spins, kicks and whirls, and even demonstrated a section using a long pole and nunchucks! I was so impressed by the self control this takes. I've always thought of martial arts as a sport, you know, you break things and get sweaty, etc. But, it truly is an ARTform! So much thought and discipline behind each move. So impressive! Uncle Jim, you would have LOVED it!
The second feature was the traditional music "orchestra" itself. Usually the members wear traditional Korean dress, "hanbok", as shown in the picture, but because June is the month of remembrance for all those who died in the Korean War and all other wars, they simply wore black and white. It was strange because at first glance, it looks (and even sounds a little) like a regular orchestra. Except for instead of violins, there were stringed instruments played upright in your lap. For cellos were xylophone-esque instruments with strings instead of metal keys. There were oboe sounding instruments, flutes, and so many other things I can't even explain! If you haven't heard traditional Asian music, it is a unique sound, almost a little "whiny", but that's not a very kind term for it. It is really beautiful, sometimes very sad sounding, other times very strong and powerful.
They played one traditional piece, and then two famous Korean singers came on stage and sang three songs each! I thought this was so cool because if in Winona we ever get anyone REMOTELY well known it is a HUGE deal, so to have two very well known singers performing right in front of ME was really cool!
I forgot to mention the beginning of the concert. It began with one solo drummer hitting a large center drum, using ceremonial movements and chanting. Then a Buddhist monk and a woman, both dressed in traditional Korean clothing, took the stage and began dancing a type of tai-chi. It was so beautiful! I had chills the entire time!
This was a photo taken not at the concert but at In Sa Dong when we were visiting there last week. It is an example of Korean traditional dress and drum.

1 comment:
Howdy Gilly! I can just imagine how cool that must have been to watch. Keep up the good work, Love ya! Jim
Post a Comment