

It's Sunday night here in Seoul, and the Won family and I returned from a weekend excursion to Yang-Yan, a north-east coastal town about four hours outside of Seoul. While there, some pretty AWEsome and unique experiences were had.
Yang-Yan is surrounded by the BEAUTIFUL mountains of Korea, and before settling to our final destination, we took the opportunity to travel up one and experience it first hand. Unfortunately, the name of this particular mountain is escaping my memory, but all I can say is it was absolutely breathtaking. I have found that the mountains of Korea are in a league of their own. They inspire in me a sense of child-like wonder. Oftentimes shrouded in a thick fog, they are mysterious, alluding, and utterly majestic. I must say that being atop these great landmarks has been a true highlight of my time in Korea thus far, and has been very calming to my spirit.
This particular mountain offered a cable-car ride up to its summit, which we excitedly took, enjoying the spectacular view. When at the top, we were able to literally climb where we pleased, and the view was both exhilarating and terrifying! I would be literally steps away from an abyss that seemed never-ending. The air on the mountains is so fresh and rejuvenating, especially after being in a city of ten million, that I was sad as we made our ascent down via cable car. We next were able to visit a Buddhist temple, similar to others I have seen but also very calming and reflective.
We move on from the mountains into Yang-Yan, the site of the Won family's condo. The condo (more like a hotel) is very VERY beautiful and looks out on the ocean. (The East Sea- otherwise referred to as the Japan sea, but Koreans are very adamant that it should be East Sea.)
Dinner. We drive into the town a ways and come to a small, unassuming restaurant with big, clear holding tanks outside its front. This is a sea village, thus, seafood rules. What am I kind of afraid of? Sea food. What are we having? King crab.

When it was served, I was seriously afraid. I was given the crab's actual legs and other joints to scrape the meat out and eat. Very very scary for me, as I have never had crab and never envisioned myself having it. Actually, while very much out of my comfort zone, the meat itself tasted much less "fishy" than I anticipated and was pretty tasty. Once the crabs were devoured, we were served rice with some sort of crab meat served....Get this- inside the crab's head! I wish I had a picture!
Also this weekend, I was able to meet Ji Young's older brother, back for a weekend break from the military. In Korea, all males are required to serve in the military for two years, usually during their college years. It was really great to meet him, and I am only sorry I will not be able to see him again.

Ahhh, back to the daily grind that is Monday.
(Prayer tile we made at the Buddhist temple in Yang-Yan)

1 comment:
질리안 나야 나! 임지원ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
오늘 핸드폰이랑 충전기 가져와줘서 고맙고
얼굴봐서 좋았엉!
이거 못 읽겠으면 원지영 시켜ㅋㅋㅋ
사진들 다 재밌다
지영이 보고싶네-_ㅠ
잘 지내고 우리 언제 다같이 만나자!
우리 엄마가 너 진짜 보고싶데
뺘뺘
Post a Comment